[Python-Dev] Re: RELEASED Python 2.3.1

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Oct 1 06:45:06 EDT 2003

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake at acm.org> writes:

> Michael Hudson writes:
>  > It occurs to me that I don't know *why* Fred is so much the
>  > documentation man; I've not had any trouble processing the docs into
>  > HTML lately (haven't tried on Windows, admittedly, and I haven't
>  > tried to make info ever).
>
> It's certainly gotten easier to deal with the documentation on modern
> Linux distributions.  At CNRI, we used mostly Solaris boxes, and I
> have to build my own teTeX installations from source, and hand-select
> a version of LaTeX2HTML that worked for me.

Oh, there was a reason I put a "lately" in what I said...

> At this point, all the software that I can't just install from a
> RedHat CD is part of what gets pulled down from CVS.  I've been able
> to build the docs on Cygwin as well, though I've not tried lately.
> A lot of what it takes to build the docs is written into Doc/Makefile,
> but it does require a solid make (it even uses $(shell ...) now, so
> maybe only GNU make will do; not sure).

One thing that puzzled me: Doc/Makefile seems to require that
Doc/tools is on $PATH, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

>  > What else needs to be done?  There must be quite a bit of mucking
>  > about on creosote to do, I guess.
>
> There's a bit, but that's getting easier and easier as I've gone
> through it a few times now.  I updated PEP 101 the other evening so
> anyone can do what's needed to build the packages and get them in the
> download locations.  There's more to be written to explain what else
> needs to be updated on the site.

Well, progress!  I think it's a worthy goal that no single person is
required to make a release, and that actually this isn't too far off.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Never meddle in the affairs of NT. It is slow to boot and quick to
  crash.                                             -- Stephen Harris