More informative error messages (Re: [Python-Dev] Efficient predicates for the standard library)

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Oct 7 22:50:13 EDT 2003

Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com>:

> > Don't tracebacks give line number and file?
>
> Yeah, that seems unnecessary.

Even when it does give a line number and file, I don't
always want to have to go looking them all up just to
get an idea of the call path that led to the error.

This is a particularly severe problem in Pyrex, where
frequently I will get tracebacks telling me things like
there was an error in a 27-level deep stack of calls
to various functions called "generate_execution_code"
scattered among the 50 or so classes in Nodes.py...