[Python-Dev] RE: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Objects typeobject.c, 2.244, 2.245

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Oct 9 01:03:03 EDT 2003

> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:
>
> > Maybe PyBool_FromLong() itself could make this unneeded by adding
> > something like
> >
> >     if (ok < 0 && PyErr_Occurred())
> >         return NULL;
> >
> > to its start?

[MvL]
> That would an incompatible change. I would expect PyBool_FromLong(i)
> do the same thing as bool(i).

Well, it still does, *except* if you have a pending exception.  IMO
what happens when you make a Python API call while an exception is
pending is pretty underspecified, so it's doubtful whether this
incompatibility matters.

> > Maybe a pair of macros Py_return_True and Py_return_False would make
> > sense?
>
> You should, of course, add Py_return_None to it, as well.
>
> Then you will find that some contributor goes on a crusade to use
> these throughout very quickly :-)

There's the minor issue of how to spell it (Mark Hammond may have a
different suggestion) but that certain contributor has my approval
once we get the spelling agreed upon.