[Python-Dev] Re: python-dev Summary for 2003-09-16 through 2003-09-30

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Oct 13 22:31:10 EDT 2003

Mike Rovner wrote:

> Brett C. wrote:
>
>>We want *you* to help with the war on SF patch items
>>----------------------------------------------------
>>Someone wanted to help but wasn't sure how they could.  Martin v.
>>Loewis sent an email listing common things anyone can do to help with
>>dealing with the patch items on SourceForge_.  The email can be found
>>at
>>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-September/038253.html
>

> 24 Sep 2003 09:26:12 +0200 martin <at> v.loewis.de wrote:
>
>>>Aahz <aahz <at> pythoncraft.com> writes:
>>
>>Also, try to classify the patch somehow, indicating what most likely
>>the problem is for the patch not being reviewed/accepted:
>>

>>>- the patch might be incomplete. Ping the submitter. If the submitter
>>>  is incomplete, either complete it yourself, or suggest rejection
>>>  of the patch.
>

> All I can do as SF regestered user is add a comment to existing patch.
> I can't extend it, submit extra files, i.e. "complete" it.
>
> Please clarify the preferabale way to "help with the war on SF patch items".

There is a lot you can do even if you can just comment.  Apply the patch
and verify that it works for you (especially if it relies on OS-specific
code) and say what happens.  Comment on the cleanliness of the code.  If
it adds a new feature, state whether you think it is a good addition or
not.  Make sure that backwards-compatibility is not broken.  And if it
is, say whether you think it is a good idea to break
backwards-compatibility.

Doing *anything* to help the patch along is a great help since it allows
people who do have checkin abilities to spend less time double-checking
double-checking the patch and thus can get to more patches with what
little time they have available to work on Python.

-Brett