[Python-Dev] IPv6 in Windows binary distro

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Oct 14 14:25:31 EDT 2003

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
>
>> Did the 2.3 builds have IPv6 support?  Then this would be a nasty
>> regression.  However, I *thought* that you had to build with VC++ 7 or
>> higher to get IPv6 support on Windows, and we've never done that.
>
> No, 2.3 did not have IPv6. You don't strictly need VC7, though - if
> you have the SDK installed in addition to VC6, you could also include
> IPv6 support. PC/pyconfig.h does not detect this case automatically,
> so you would have to manually activate this support (i.e. include
> winsock2.h).
>
> Apart from that, you are right - IPv6 is not supported in the Windows
> builds because of lacking support in the compiler's header files.

Ok, I installed the Feb 2003 Platform SDK, and it seems I'm now able to
compile with IPv6 support - after minor twiddling of the header files.

Now these questions arise:
- Should the next binary release (2.3.3, scheduled for the end of 2003)
include this support?

- Should there be any attempts to detect this support in the header
files automatically (black magic to me), or should the platform sdk be
required to compile Python with IPv6?

Thomas