list.sort, was Re: [Python-Dev] decorate-sort-undecorate

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Wed Oct 15 19:20:05 EDT 2003

BDFL:
> -1000.  This is non-negotiable.

Kevin Butler:
> +1
>
> Just 998 votes to go - nice to have a precise value on BDFL
> pronouncements.  No voting twice with bigger numbers! ;-)

Make it <wink> 999 after my -1. Seriously, the BDFL isn't just
making this up. Beginners would be tripped up by this ALL the
time. People like me who move from language to language and
can never remember which behavior goes with which language would
be tripped up. Returning None prevents being tripped up. And
the work-around is *a 2-line function*! Why can't YOU live with
writing a 2-line helper function to save lots of frustration
for those of us who might forget whether it's in-place or not?

I'm not flaming you here, just trying to point out that the
BDFL is *not* alone on this issue.

Don't-all-dictators-hold-faux-elections-these-days lly, yours

-- Michael Chermside