[Python-Dev] accumulator display syntax

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Thu Oct 16 08:31:34 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli writes:
> I think we could extend indexing to mean something different when
> the [ ] contain a 'for', just like we extended list display to mean
> something different (list comprehension) when the [ ] contain a
> 'for'.  Syntax such as:
>
>     Top(10)[ humor(joke) for joke in jokes ]
>
> does not suggest a list is _returned_, just like foo[23] doesn't.

I find the syntax a bit confusing.

Are we subscripting here, or are we juxtaposing one expression
("Top(10)"), with a list comprehension ("[humor(joke) for joke in jokes]")?

Not totally unreadable, but it rubs me the wrong way. I read [] used
for subscripting as completely different from [] used for list literals
and list comprehensions. They just happen to share the same pair of
symbols. To me, this confuses the two somewhat.

-- Michael Chermside