[Python-Dev] Python-2.3.2 windows binary screwed

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Oct 17 14:02:21 EDT 2003

Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> writes:

> You said you are using the SP5 DLLs. They are old...
>
> We use the ones from vc6redist.exe from microsoft they have fixes that
> you may need. Its also the versions that you will encounter on XP
> systems I believe.

Well, isn't SP5 the latest service pack available for Visual Studio 6.0?
I took it from the Oct 2003 MSDN shipment.

> So long as you have the version checking done right in the installer
> you will not rewind a DLL backwards.

The problem in this case was not the installer doing things wrong, the
fault was alone on my side: I did use the dlls from my WinXP system
directory, and the installer correctly used them to replace the versions
on the target computers. If this was a win2k system, the file protection
reverted this change, and the users were lucky again (except they had an
entry in the event log). Unfortunately win98 and NT4 users were not so
happy, for them it broke the system.

Thomas