[Python-Dev] buildin vs. shared modules

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Oct 17 18:51:03 EDT 2003

Thomas Heller wrote:
> Yes, and _ssl would also stay out (it seems I forgot to list it).  The
> only module needing external source is zlib - and this is one I care
> about because it may be useful for zipimport of compressed
> modules.  Can't we simply import the zlib sources into Python's CVS?

I would advise against that: On Unix, it wouldn't be used, because
people would ask that the platform's zlib shared library is used.

It appears that in this specific case, Guido is willing to compromise
that downloading zlib source to build pythonxy.dll could be acceptable.
Also, in this specific case, making it easy to remove zlib support
would be possible: add a HAVE_ZLIB in pyconfig.h, and put HAVE_ZLIB
around the reference in config.c. Anybody who does not want to download
zlib would need to edit pyconfig.h (or perhaps the pythoncore project).

Regards,
Martin