[Python-Dev] in-line sort

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sat Oct 18 13:53:17 EDT 2003

> I don't like the trick of avoiding the copy if the refcount is one;
> AFAIK it can't be done in Jython.

As Alex demonstrated, the time savings for an O(n) operation inside an
O(n log n) function is irrelevant anyway.

> I think the application area is too narrow to warrant a built-in,
> *and* lists shouldn't grow two similar methods.  Let's keep the
> language small!

Not to be hard headed here, but if dropped now, it will never
be considered again.  Did you have a chance to look at the
rationale for change in my previous note and added in the
comments for the patch?  I think they offer some examples
and reasons stronger than "saving a little typing":
      www.python.org/sf/825814

Raymond