[Python-Dev] SRE recursion removed

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer at conectiva.com
Sat Oct 18 16:28:54 EDT 2003

> Hmm. Either you trust that your code is basically correct or you
> don't. If you trust that it is basically correct, you should remove
> the old code, and trust that any problems in SRE (be they related to
> your code or independent) can be fixed, in which case maintaining the
> old code would be pointless.
>
> Or, if you don't trust that your code is basically correct, you should
> not have applied the patch.

Hey.. Martin, are you ok? What's going on? You're being extremelly
aggressive without an aparent reason. I'm putting a prize on my head
for hacking the *hairy* code in SRE and removing a serious limitation,
and that's your reaction!? I'm disappointed.

> I also wonder whether the code performing recursion checks has any
> function still. So I wonder whether USE_STACKCHECK,
> USE_RECURSION_LIMIT are "essentially" dead.

Yeah.. I can clean it. let's please wait a little bit to
see the new code working?

> IMO, any unused code in SRE is a problem, because it makes already
> difficult-to-follow code more difficult to follow. It is ok to
> maintain dead code if the code might be used in the future, but only
> if there are specific plans to actually use it in a foreseeable
> future. It is not ok

Dead *debug* code is something common all over the world. Should we
remove VERBOSE usage as well!? :-)

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net