[Python-Dev] locals() (was Re: accumulator display syntax)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Oct 21 17:57:39 EDT 2003

At 02:04 PM 10/21/03 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>Argh, someone *could* pass around a copy of locals() and make an
>assignment into that.

Not when the locals() is that of a CPython function, and I expect the same
is true of Jython functions.

>   But I think we're already deprecating
>non-read-only use of locals(), so I'd like to ban that as abuse.

FWIW, both Zope 3 and PEAK currently make use of 'locals()' (actually,
sys._getframe()) to modify locals of a class or module scope (i.e.
non-functions).  For both class and module scopes, it seems to be implied
by the language definition that the local namespace is the __dict__ of the
corresponding object.

So, is this deprecated usage for class and module objects too?