[Python-Dev] Re: Be Honest about LC_NUMERIC

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Tue Oct 21 21:43:46 EDT 2003

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 12:22:59AM +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> What happened to this PEP? I can't find it in the PEP list.

Sorry, I've been completely distracted by real life, lately.

I can put some effort into the text this week, but I'm not sure what I
should do beyond sending the PEP to the list and waiting for comments
(which were pretty sparse!)

> Personally, I am satisfied with the patch that evolved from the
> discussion (#774665), and I would be willing to apply it even without
> a PEP.

I would really appreciate a comment from Tim outlining his opinion (so
I'm adding him to the To: list). Just to recapitulate, the patch Gustavo
has posted doesn't use the thread-safe glibc functions, which means that
we won't be safe from runtime locale switching.

I suppose I should also point out that runtime locale switching is
useful in certain obscure situations; for instance, formatting a number
with periods grouping the thousands can be done by setting to the da_DK
locale temporarily. Whether this hack is to be encouraged or shelved for
something better is yet unknown to me, though.

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 261 2331