[Python-Dev] closure semantics

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Wed Oct 22 12:54:20 EDT 2003

> But all this is moot unless someone comes up with a way to spell this
> that doesn't require a new keyword or change the meaning of 'global x'
> even if there's an x at an intermediate scope (i.e. you can't change
> 'global x' to mean "search for the next outer scope that defines x").
>
> And we still have to answer Alex's complaint that newbies misinterpret
> the word 'global'.

I'm not averse to introducing a new keyword, which would address both
concerns.  yield was introduced with apparently little problem, so it seems
possible to add a keyword without causing too much disruption.

If we decide we must stick with global, then it's very hard to address
Alex's concern about global being a confusing word choice <wink>.

Jeremy