[Python-Dev] PyList API missing PyList_Pop() and PyList_Delete

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Fri Oct 24 14:12:57 EDT 2003

> > Was there a reason for leaving this out of the API or should it be
> > added?  Is the right way to simulate a pop something like this:
>
> Well, there's always PyEval_CallMethod...

I ended-up using:

 	PyObject_CallMethod(to->outbasket, "pop", NULL);

The bummer is that this call is effectively used in a loop and runs once
for every data element in an iterable.  Something like pop() has such a
tiny granularity that its runtime is overwhelmed by the lookup time to
call it this way.  For this reason, I think PyList_Pop() warrants
inclusion in the API much more than low granularity methods like
PyList_Reverse() or PyList_Sort().

Raymond Hettinger