copysort patch, was RE: [Python-Dev] inline sort option

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Oct 25 18:25:22 EDT 2003

[Alex]
> > So, if I've followed correctly the lots of python-dev mail over the last
> > few days, that person (Aahz) is roughly +0 on list.sorted as classmethod
> > and thus we can go ahead.  Right?

[Aahz]
> I'm not the person who objected on non-English speaking grounds, and I'm
> -0 because I don't like using grammatical tense as the differentiator;
> as I said, I'd expect sorted() to be a predicate.  If we're doing this
> (and it seems we are), I still prefer copysort() for clarity.  But I'm
> not objecting to sorted().

Predicates start with 'is'.  For example, s.lower() converts s to
lowercase; s.islower() asks if s is lowercase.

I'm -1 on list.copysort() as a constructor/factory.

Since whoever didn't like sorted() before hasn't piped up now, I think
we should go ahead and implement the list.sorted() constructor.