[Python-Dev] Re: closure semantics

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sun Oct 26 05:51:53 EST 2003

    Alex> Sorry if my past well-meant eagerness caused problems; it's
    Alex> obviously more sensible for people who never use nested functions
    Alex> to help shape their syntax and semantics, than for those who DO
    Alex> use them, after all -- and similarly, for people who only care
    Alex> about their own code to help determine if 'global' is, or isn't, a
    Alex> cause of problems out there in the wide world of Python newbies
    Alex> and users far from python-dev.

Pardon me?

Just because I don't use a particular feature of the language doesn't mean I
have no interest in how the language evolves.  I don't believe I ever
disrespected your ideas or opinions.  Why are you disrespecting mine?  Hell,
why are you disrespecting me?

I would be more than happy if nested scopes weren't in the language.  Their
absence would also make your teaching, advising, mentoring, maintenance and
enhancing simpler.  I haven't proposed that they be removed, though that
would be rather clean way to solve this problem.

Alex, if a qualification for discussing improvements to Python is that one
use every aspect of the language, please pronounce.  I'll be happy to butt
out of your turf.

Skip