[Python-Dev] Deprecate the buffer object?

Neil Schemenauer nas-python at python.ca
Tue Oct 28 17:09:54 EST 2003

I happened to be looking at the buffer API today and I came across
this posting from Guido:

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-October/009974.html

Over the years there has been a lot of discussion about the buffer
API and the buffer object.  The general consensus seems to be that
the buffer API is not ideal but nonetheless useful.  The buffer
object, OTOH, is considered fundamentally broken and should be
removed.

Does anyone object to deprecating the 'buffer' builtin?  Eventually
we could remove the buffer object completely.

  Neil