[Python-Dev] Looking for master thesis ideas involving Python

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Oct 29 13:48:00 EST 2003

At 06:33 PM 10/29/03 +0000, Michael Hudson wrote:
>"Phillip J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> writes:
>
> > * Direct use of positional arguments on the stack as the "locals" of
> >   the next function called, without creating (and then unpacking) an
> >   argument tuple, in the case where there are no */** arguments
> >   provided by the caller.
>
>Already done, unless I misunderstand your idea.  Well, the arguments
>might still get copied into the new frame's locals area but I'm pretty
>sure no tuple is involved.

Hm.  I thought that particular optimization only could take place when the
function lacks default arguments.  But maybe I've misread that part.  If
it's true in all cases, then argument tuple creation isn't where the
overhead is coming from.

Anyway...  it wouldn't be a good thesis idea if the answer were as obvious
as my speculations, would it?  ;)