[Python-Dev] Re: Guido's Magic Code was: inline sort option

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Oct 30 13:09:58 EST 2003

At 10:00 AM 10/30/03 -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Hm.  What if your PickyClassmethod were a built-in called 'constructor' or
> > 'factorymethod'?  Probably too confining a name, if there are other uses
> > for class-only methods, I suppose.
>
>I'm not convinced that we have a problem (beyond Alex lying awake at
>night, that it :-).

I thought you were proposing to use it for list.sorted, in order to provide
a better error message when used with an instance.  If such a descriptor
were implemented, I was suggesting that it would be useful as a form of
documentation (i.e. that a method isn't intended to be called on instances
of the class), and thus it would be nice for it to be exposed for folks
like me who'd take advantage of it.  (Especially if PEP 318 is being
implemented.)