[Python-Dev] New functionality in micro releases (was: Documenting branch policy)

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sun Sep 7 19:04:33 EDT 2003

    Jack> On 7-sep-03, at 21:15, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    >>> Maintenance branches are for bug fixes
    >>> <em>only</em>;
    >>
    >> This question is heavily debated. Alex Martelli, for example, favours
    >> a policy where new (in a strict sense) features are acceptable if they
    >> don't break anything, and are "minor", in some sense.

    Jack> ... but with Python 2.3 we have the situation that the majority of
    Jack> Python installations (I think it's safe to take the guess that
    Jack> MacOSX 10.3 installations will soon outnumber all other Pythons
    Jack> together) will stay at 2.3 until the next release of MacOSX.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  Aside from the many Linux distributions
which include some version of Python, it's clear that HP/Compaq is including
some version of Python with their new Windows computers (based on all the
newbie questions about this fielded at webmaster at python.org).  Still, the
number of vendors delivering Python with their computers and the long string
of problems caused by RedHat shipping Python 1.5.2 w/ 7.x long after 2.0 was
history suggests that micro releases be reserved entirely for bug fixes.

Skip