[Python-Dev] Making python C-api thread safe

Harri Pesonen fuerte at sci.fi
Thu Sep 11 20:23:05 EDT 2003

Background: I'm new to Python. I just embedded Python into a
multi-threaded application, and extended Python by callbacks as well.
During this process I realised that Python is not internally as
beautiful as externally. It is not thread safe. This surprised me,
because Python is a quite young programming language. I started thinking
how to fix this, how to make Python thread safe. Currently Python does
not support multiprocessor machines or hyperthreading processors. It is
only a matter of time when this has to be fixed, better soon than later.

How to make C-api thread safe: It's quite simple, in fact. Thread should
first call