[Python-Dev] Re: python/dist/src/Lib/bsddb __init__.py,1.5,1.6

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Sep 15 10:57:02 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 08:51, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> I'd be in favor of setting an arbitrary date for a 2.4 release, and when
> that date rolls around stabilizing and releasing the CVS tree, no matter
> what's been implemented or not implemented.  If we've made major language
> revisions by that time, fine, but it's worthwhile even if 2.4 is just 2.3 +
> (various bugfixes deemed too risky for 2.3.1) + (a few new modules).
>
> PEP 320 estimates February 2005, a 19-month gap matching that between 2.2
> and 2.3.  That seems a bit too long, especially if there are no large
> changes that require testing; aiming for autumn 2004, beginning to freeze
> in August, seems reasonable.

In the absence of any plans for major new features, I think this is a
good plan.  A rough schedule might be:

2.4a1  April
2.4a2  late May/early June
2.4b1  July 9
2.4b2  Aug. 6
2.4 f  Sep. 3

We should also make a plan for a 2.3 maintenance release.  There have
been a lot of checkins, but I haven't gotten a sense for how significant
the bugs were.

Jeremy