[Python-Dev] Windows installer and .pyc files mtime

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Tue Sep 16 14:47:00 EDT 2003

[Tim]
>> Everything I tried worked fine.  I think the *default* should be not
>> to compile .pyc files.  Regardless of the default, popping up a DOS
>> box during compilation doesn't bother me at all.

[Thomas Heller]
> Great, I'll change it. But when there's an option to compile .pyc,
> shouldn't there also be an option for .pyo (and should it use -O or
> -OO)?

Sounds like YAGNI.  In the years I did the Windows installer, nobody asked
for compilation.  I haven't seen anyone here ask for it either, just a few
people saying they think other people might want it.  Since I wasn't one of
them, you're going to have to ask someone who thinks they can channel these
oddly unassertive users <wink>.