[Python-Dev] Consistent logging in the standard library

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Sep 17 17:56:50 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 17:43, Vinay Sajip wrote:

> Matthew Barnes, who kicked off the original thread, prefers "stdlib" as the
> prefix to use, rather than "python".

What about _ (underscore)?

One of my half-baked totally unoriginal PEP ideas for Python 2.4 would
be a syntax for forcing imports from the standard library.  E.g. say I
have a foo package, and inside there I've got a foo/logging.py module.
Say there's also a foo/bar.py module and it wants to import the global
logging package.  How can it do that?  "import logging" does a relative
import.

So the idea would be to be able to write "import _.logging" and
definitely get the global logging package.  Using underscore in the
logger would mirror this mnemonic for globalness.

-Barry