[Python-Dev] Re: python-dev Summary for 2003-09-01 through 2003-09-15[draft]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Sep 19 13:44:09 EDT 2003

"Brett C." <bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote in message

> But then the point of OS X 10.3 possibly becoming the largest
install
> base of Python of any version (it will be 2.3) came up.

I an somehow amused at the prospect of Apple OX (Uni)X releases
influencing the timing of Python releases.

> With rough estimates being thrown around of 5 million installs
> in about a year's
> time, the point that making it difficult to run Python 2.3.x code on
> that size of an install base would be bad.

I've begun work on a 2.3 based project.  If I were to get users who
have received rather than installed Python, I would be more hesitant
to simply say 'upgrade', especially for minor features in a 2.3.x.

> that this is Mac it should not be expected that most users will want
to,
> let alone know how, to add a secondary install of Python since the
> original is used by the OS and thus should not be overwritten).

I presume a Mac installer would know how to add rather than overwrite.

I am curious whether anyone has ever suggested to PC makers that
Python + PyWin would be a useful addition to their Windows package --
both for setup/admin scripts (as done by RedHat. ...,  and now
Apple -- I don't know the specifics) and as a freebie addon (Basic for
the 21st Century)?

Terry J. Reedy