[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins]python/dist/src/Objects unicodeobject.c, 2.197, 2.198

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Mon Sep 22 07:18:32 EDT 2003

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> good reason to insist that a 16-bit type is
>> unsigned, and that it's desirable for HAVE_USABLE_WCHAR_T to get defined
>> when possible.  What more does it take to bury this?  If it's Unixish
>> config chagnes, they won't be coming from me (the Windows build uses an
 >> unsigned 16-bit wchar_t).
>
> That's what it takes, right. I'll work on it.

While working on the config changes, I noticed that Python now
defaults to UCS4 when it find a Tcl/Tk version that supports UCS4...

I can't say that I particularly like this, since the config script
now makes an implicit choice based on the third-party software
configuration with consequences that are not made obvious for the
user.

E.g. on platforms that happen to have Tcl/tk installed
with UCS4 configuration, Python will compile using UCS4 (regardeless
of whether the user wants to use Tcl/Tk or not), on system
that don't have such Tcl/tk installation, Python compiles using
UCS2.

I'd suggest to make the UCS4 choice explicit again.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 22 2003)