[Python-Dev] 2.3.1 is (almost) a go

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Wed Sep 24 12:01:04 EDT 2003

Adding spambayes-dev in case anyone there has more reliable info.

[Anthony Baxter]
> I haven't been following the spambayes lists too closely. Are there
> concrete problems with bsddb that are cropping up, or just a general
> wariness of it?
>
> If there _is_ a problem with bsddb, it needs to be addressed. Too
> many things depend on it.

Reports of database corruption are common in spambayes.  At least one
knowledgable tester reported his problems went away after moving to a recent
Sleepycat release (4.1.25, IIRC).  I'm not sure any reports have come from
people using the Outlook client (I was happy using a dict, but switched all
3 of my Outlook classifiers to use Berkeley instead, *hoping* to provoke a
problem -- but no luck yet).  They seem to come from non-Outlook people
using Berkeley for the message info database.  Richie got a whittled down
threaded test that fails on Windows and Linux, and there's already a
(Python) bug report open on that; it's not thought to be relevant to how
spambayes uses Berkeley, though.