[Python-Dev] Python Glossary

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Sep 24 13:15:14 EDT 2003

Thanks to people who submitted content for the Python Glossary:

    http://manatee.mojam.com/python-glossary

I just completed a first pass at folding it into the Python tutorial.  It's
now a separate appendix to that document.  It will take awhile for the
changes to show up on the website and in distributions, but if you have
named CVS access to the Python distribution, you can get to it now.  People
with only anonymous CVS access or no CVS access at all will have to wait
awhile for SourceForge to update the server.  After a day or so it should be
available here:

    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/python/dist/src/Doc/tut/

I would appreciate it if people could proofread it (if you're anxious to get
to work, mail me and I'll send you a copy of the glossary.tex file).  I made
some changes to the definitions, but was focused more on getting the content
into the tutorial than on wordsmithing.

As a side-effect, the tutorial now also has an index.  All but one or two of
the entries it contains are from the glossary.  The entire tutorial needs to
be "indexified".  If you would like to help with that, please feel free.  In
any case, any changes should be submitted as a documentation bug or patch
(if you have some proposed context diffs) and assigned to me (SF username:
montanaro).

Please don't feel shy about adding new entries to the existing Wiki-based
glossary either.  I will notice updates and migrate new or corrected terms
over as I have time.  I don't plan to dismantle it, at least not for the
forseeable future.  At some point I may migrate it to the Python.org Wiki
though.

Skip