[Python-Dev] Re: RELEASED Python 2.3.1

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 27 06:30:53 EDT 2003

"Jason R. Mastaler" <jason at mastaler.com> writes:

> > I don't think the problem is severe; os.fsync is rarely used.
>
> How did you arrive at this notion?

>From four considerations:

1. It did not show up in any of the tests.
2. To use it, you have to use "bare" file descriptors; this is
   relatively un-pythonic.
3. To use it, you have to worry about data getting on the disk -
   this really requires some kind of expert application.
4. It is not universally available, so the expert application I had
   to assume in 3) would most likely test for presence of fsync, and
   fall back to just not use it (and perhaps invoke sync(1) instead).

Regards,
Martin