[Python-Dev] Re: PC/python_nt.rc

Paul Moore pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 28 07:47:31 EDT 2003

Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> writes:

>> While we are at it: At what point will we switch to VC7.1 for the
>> Windows builds?
>
> Hm, for 2.4, maybe.

That sounds reasonable. The currently released mingw is close to being
able to build MSVC7.1 compatible DLLs, but not quite there yet (it
needs a workaround). I'd expect it to be there by the time 2.4 is
released.

> Or should there 7.1 compiled .msi installers in parallel for the 2.3 line?

That would be extremely useful - my view on mingw above is based on
import table inspection only. It would be nice to have a way of
testing genuine Python extensions built with mingw.

Of course, a 7.1-compiled installer would need to allow for
installation in parallel with the 6.0-compiled one, because I can't
imagine many people wanting to use it as their production version
(most extensions will only be distributed as 6.0-compiled versions, so
wouldn't be usable with the 7.1-compiled Python).

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank