[Python-Dev] PEP 318: Is decorators the right term for these things?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Apr 2 20:51:35 EST 2004

On Apr 2, 2004, at 3:22 PM, <pythondev at bitfurnace.com> wrote:

> I know this discussion has focussed on the term "decorator", but I
> think
> the term is a misnomer. These things arent just passive, static
> decorations, but are rather more dynamic active things; possibly
> "transformations" or "transforms".
>
> <ducks>

Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.  Many of the useful cases
actually are transforms (classmethod, staticmethod, objc.selector), not
merely decoration (as an interface declaration may be, it could return
the original function unchanged, it really depends on the adaptation
framework).

I do pretty much agree with you though.

-bob