[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 328 -- relative and multi-line import

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Apr 3 11:58:26 EST 2004

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004, David Abrahams wrote:

> I'm thinking some other syntax is needed to represent upward travel
> in the hierarchy, e.g.
>
>        from ^.Y import X
>        from -.Y import X
>
> <ducks>

That's been suggested, and it'll show up in the revised PEP as soon as
it's pushed out to python.org.  I'm not Uncle Timmy, but I'll channel
Guido: no chance.  I don't particularly like dots-only mechanism, but I
have to agree that it works well enough for one-to-three levels.  More
than that is a strong indication of a design that needs reworking.

"usenet imitates usenet"  --Darkhawk