[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 328 -- relative and multi-line import

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Sat Apr 10 12:38:36 EDT 2004

> Nope.  Absolute imports are the most common form, and we do want to
> encourage absolute imports whenever possible (because of the conflicts
> with the stdlib).  Relative imports should be "marked".

Wow.  This seems amazingly user-hostile.  Users (not Python
developers) download some two or three year old code to do something
from an online library, like the Vaults of Parnassus, and it just
breaks because the meaning of "import" has changed.  I hope we aren't
developing the kind of attitude towards non-developer users that made
lispers call them "lusers".

Bill