[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 328 -- relative and multi-line import

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Apr 17 20:53:56 EDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004, Greg Ewing wrote:
> Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com>:
>>
>> Nope.  Absolute imports are the most common form
>
> I don't agree with that. In every major Python application I've
> written, the vast majority of imports are from other modules of the
> application, which are most sensibly referenced relatively.

So you're saying that your applications are all put together in a single
package?  Or that there isn't much in the way of inter-package imports?
Could you show us the header of one of your modules as an example?

> I, too, am quite concerned about the imminent breaking of every
> existing relative import, apparently because Guido has an ideological
> objection to relative imports and wants to punish us for having used
> them so freely over the years.

Actually, it's Barry's hobbyhorse.

"I used to have a .sig but I found it impossible to please everyone..."  --SFJ