[Python-Dev] PEP 329: Treating Builtins as Constants in the Standard Library

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Apr 19 10:19:01 EDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004, Gareth McCaughan wrote:
> On Monday 2004-04-19 14:49, Samuele Pedroni wrote:
>>
>> Raymond, could you  please try to tame your speed obsession without
>> devising even more hacks and pissing in other people's pool.

Samuele, please remember that this is a "professional" environment and
phrase your posts appropriately.

> What a gratuitously obnoxious and pointless reply. If you have reason
> to think Raymond's proposal, if implemented, will cause trouble, then
> show it. If not, then why shouldn't he work on making Python faster if
> he wants to?

It's gratuitously insulting, but it's certainly not pointless in
context: remember that Samuele is responsible for maintaining Jython,
and I can certainly understand his bitterness at seeing a proposal that
mucks with Python internals like this.  I had a similar strong reaction
to Raymond's proposal even without Samuele's reasons.

Keep in mind that one of the goals of Python development has always been
to keep the implementation as simple as possible.

"I used to have a .sig but I found it impossible to please everyone..."  --SFJ