[Python-Dev] Re: Decimal data type issues

Kevin Jacobs jacobs at theopalgroup.com
Tue Apr 20 11:28:04 EDT 2004

Aahz wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 20, 2004, Kevin Jacobs wrote:
>

>>Neither.  It is well understood that operations on Decimal instances
>>must rely on the context.  The idea here is to overflow and round
>>correctly upon instance creation without going through a great deal of
>>additional effort.
>>

>Why do you think this is a "great deal" of effort?  I still have some
>trouble understanding why you think this should go into Decimal rather
>than being an add-on.

It could be an add-on, but it seems a common and fundamental enough
operation
that it should be well supported by the core library.  External
implementations
may be less efficient, as they cannot take advantage of the internal
implementation
details that a better integrated solution would offer.

This isn't something I am willing to go to war on, but at the same time, I'm
willing to expend some effort to lobby for inclusion.  Either way, I will
have the necessary infrastructure to accomplish my aims, though my
goal is for everyone to have it without re-inventing the wheel.  Silence on
this topic benefits nobody.

Thanks,
-Kevin