[Python-Dev] Re: Decimal data type issues

Kevin Jacobs jacobs at theopalgroup.com
Tue Apr 20 11:28:04 EDT 2004

Aahz wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 20, 2004, Kevin Jacobs wrote:
>>Neither.  It is well understood that operations on Decimal instances
>>must rely on the context.  The idea here is to overflow and round
>>correctly upon instance creation without going through a great deal of
>>additional effort.
>Why do you think this is a "great deal" of effort?  I still have some
>trouble understanding why you think this should go into Decimal rather
>than being an add-on.

It could be an add-on, but it seems a common and fundamental enough
that it should be well supported by the core library.  External
may be less efficient, as they cannot take advantage of the internal
details that a better integrated solution would offer.

This isn't something I am willing to go to war on, but at the same time, I'm
willing to expend some effort to lobby for inclusion.  Either way, I will
have the necessary infrastructure to accomplish my aims, though my
goal is for everyone to have it without re-inventing the wheel.  Silence on
this topic benefits nobody.