[Python-Dev] Re: Decimal data type issues

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Apr 20 13:36:34 EDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004, Kevin Jacobs wrote:
> Aahz wrote:
>>On Tue, Apr 20, 2004, Kevin Jacobs wrote:
>>>
>>>Neither.  It is well understood that operations on Decimal instances
>>>must rely on the context.  The idea here is to overflow and round
>>>correctly upon instance creation without going through a great deal of
>>>additional effort.
>>
>>Why do you think this is a "great deal" of effort?  I still have some
>>trouble understanding why you think this should go into Decimal rather
>>than being an add-on.
>
> It could be an add-on, but it seems a common and fundamental enough
> operation that it should be well supported by the core library.
> External implementations may be less efficient, as they cannot take
> advantage of the internal implementation details that a better
> integrated solution would offer.
>
> This isn't something I am willing to go to war on, but at the same
> time, I'm willing to expend some effort to lobby for inclusion.
> Either way, I will have the necessary infrastructure to accomplish my
> aims, though my goal is for everyone to have it without re-inventing
> the wheel.  Silence on this topic benefits nobody.

How is your need here more common and fundamental than Money?  I see
here a repeat of the discussions around the new datetime module, where
the decision was made to keep the core implementation dirt-simple, with
enough hooks for people to add functionality.  What makes this case
different?

"I used to have a .sig but I found it impossible to please everyone..."  --SFJ