[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 754

Paul Moore pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 23 16:46:54 EDT 2004

Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004, Ivan R. Judson wrote:
>>
>> What's needs to be done to possibly get PEP754 (fpconst) to move ahead and
>> perhaps go into 2.4?
>
> Nothing, because it ain't gonna happen.  In order for PEP754 to work, we
> need to have a bunch of people volunteer to maintain the IEEE-754
> semantics for a bunch of difference platforms.

The PEP offers a reference implementation in pure Python. (Although
the link given is broken). The implementation is just about creating
and manipulating specific bit patterns stored in floats.

How useful the module is (given that Python doesn't mandate that
floats are stored using IEEE-754 format) I couldn't comment. But I'll
note that the standard library already contains modules which only
work on specific types of platform.

As to the inclusion of the module, I have no opinion...

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank