[Python-Dev] refleak hunting season

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Aug 2 17:39:27 CEST 2004

Walter Dörwald <walter at livinglogic.de> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
>
>> Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:
>>
>>>    Michael> I've hacked regrtest again (patch attached).
>>>
>>>Why not just check your regrtest changes into cvs?
>> Because I'm not quite happy with them; I hope to make the changes I
>> want after the run I'm doing with -uall finishes (so, erm, Thursday or
>> so :-).
>
> I would prefer it, if the refcounting was done for each test method
> not only for the complete test. This would help in finding the leak
> but unfortunately would required changes to unittest.

Certainly, this is a superior solution.  However, it also has the
problem that from regrtest you can't tell whether a given test is
using unittest, doctest or whatever.  It's probably possible to
redesign things so this is all elegant and natural, but I actually
wanted to get somewhere with this :-)

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I have a feeling that any simple problem can be made arbitrarily
  difficult by imposing a suitably heavy administrative process