[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Python compile.c, 2.311, 2.312

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Aug 3 17:37:16 CEST 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Aha!  So maybe we should reconsider whether mwh's removal of the
> filename interning in the compiler should be reverted.

I just looked at the sizes of the four largest .pyc files wrt. to this
change (ie. the one generated before 2.312, and the one generated
after):

                  before            after
pydoc            84711             91263
cookielib        57353             57353
pickletools      55862             57038
tarfile          54074             58974

So the patch does cause a size increase (and likely also a slowdown
because of the extra memory allocations at startup). Whether this is
relevant or not, I don't know.

I think I would prefer if a different mechanism was found to account
for the change in references during an import, e.g. by taking the
number of interned strings before and after the import operation.

Regards,
Martin