[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 324 (process module)

Peter Astrand astrand at lysator.liu.se
Tue Aug 3 17:22:35 CEST 2004

> I believe ActiveState's Trent Mick has released something along these
> lines.  Does your proposed API match theirs?

No, not at all. There are some issues with this module, both regards the
API and the implementation, which I'm not happy with. I tried to establish
a discussion with Trent about this, but if I remember correctly, I never
recieved a response.

Here's some things which I'm not happy with:

* There are three different "factory" classes: Process, ProcessOpen,
ProcessProxy. I have only one, covering all cases. I think three different
classes are confusing to users. Even I have trouble understanding the
difference between them.

* The code size is very large. The code is complex.

* Trent's module always executes things through the shell, and deals with
every ugly cornercase that comes from this.

* The modules uses destructors, which I'm usually avoiding.

So, the chances of getting our modules API-compatible are very small.

/Peter Åstrand <astrand at lysator.liu.se>