[Python-Dev] Python in Unicode context

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Aug 3 19:35:59 CEST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> François Pinard wrote:
>
>> One thing is that a Python module should have some way to know the
>> encoding used in its source file, maybe some kind of `module.__coding__'
>> next to `module.__file__', saving the coding effectively used while
>> compilation was going on.
>
> That would be possible to implement. Feel free to create a patch.

+1

>> I wonder if some other cookie, next to the `coding:'
>> cookie, could not be used to declare that all strings _in this module
>> only_ should be interpreted as Unicode by default, but without the need
>> of resorting to `u' prefix all over.
>

> This could be a starting point of another syntax debate. For example,
>
> from __future__ import string_literals_are_unicode
>
> would be possible to implement. If PEP 244 would have been adapted, I
> would have proposed
>
> directive unicode_strings
>
> Other syntax forms would also be possible. Again, if you know a syntax
> which you like, propose a patch. Be prepared to also write a PEP
> defending that syntax.

+1

Things that have been proposed earlier on, extended a bit:

b'xxx' - return a buffer to hold binary data; same
          as buffer(s'abc')

s'abc' - (forced) 8-bit string literal in source code encoding

u'abc' - (forced) Unicode literal

'abc'  - maps to s'abc' per default, can map to u'abc' based
          on the command line switch -U or a module switch

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 03 2004)