[Python-Dev] Python in Unicode context

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Aug 4 12:38:58 CEST 2004

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

>> P.S. - Command line switch for command line switch :-), a switch for
>> fully turning on the newer type system would be more productive than
>> `-U', and put some pressure for refreshening the library in this area.
>> Just curious, as I do not intend to volunteer in this area, is there
>> something else than Exception in the Python internals that rely on
>> old-style classes?
>
> Probably not, but making Exception a new-style class won't be easy.

What makes you say that?  I've just been remarking on comp.lang.python
how having Exception be new-style in PyPy -- indeed, not having
old-style classes and all -- has caused essentially no problems at
all.

Perhaps I'll work up a patch sometime and see what breaks.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  > Emacs is a fashion statement.
  No, Gnus is a fashion statement.  Emacs is clothing.  Everyone
  else is running around naked.
        -- Karl Kleinpaste & Jonadab the Unsightly One, gnu.emacs.gnus