[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 324 (process module)

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Aug 4 16:57:33 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 10:05, Peter Astrand wrote:
> > ProcessProxy:
> >     ...a behemoth using a thread for each of stdin/stdout/stderr to
> >     allow the user to get an event-like IO interface.
>
> Why not avoid threads on POSIX systems, and use select instead? My module
> does, although it does not provide an event-like IO interface. If you get
> rid of the threads, then you don't need the workaround code for Linux.

Doesn't select() effectively busy-wait on "real" files (pipes and file
descriptors obtained via open(), as opposed to network sockets) on most
(all?) UNIXen?  At least this has been my finding under Linux.

(See
http://www.plope.com/Members/chrism/News_Item.2004-07-29.4755190458/talkback/1091579983/discussionitem_view for more info).

- C