[Python-Dev] Re: 2.4a2, and @decorators

Batista, Facundo FBatista at uniFON.com.ar
Wed Aug 4 17:17:38 CEST 2004

Didn't followed closely this discussion, but my general feeling is that the
development community position is not clear regarding this feature.

Python is what it is now because of well thinked changes. I don't want,
because of the hurry of 2.4, to include this particular feature without a
hard approval of the community.

Will be easiest to include it in 2.5 than to extract it.

So, all that said, I'm +1 to take this out from 2.4.

.	Facundo

#- -----Mensaje original-----
#- De: Jim Fulton [mailto:jim at zope.com]
#- Enviado el: Miercoles, 04 de Agosto de 2004 11:32
#- Para: Andrew McNamara
#- CC: python-dev at python.org
#- Asunto: Re: [Python-Dev] Re: 2.4a2, and @decorators
#-
#- Andrew McNamara wrote:
#- >>>An advantage of the
#- >>>@ syntax is than it makes the complexiity separable and
#- ignorable for
#- >>>someone learning/teaching basic Python,
#- >>
#- >>I don't agree that they are ignorable.  People will see
#- them in code
#- >>and will *have* to understand what they mean.  Given sme examples
#- >>I've seen here, this will sometimes be a significant chalenge.
#- >
#- >
#- > There are a number of "advanced" features in python that could be a
#- > barrier to understanding for new users, but which are
#- rarely seen in
#- > practice - metaclasses being the classic example.
#- >
#- > I imagine these features are rarely seen because most people don't
#- > understand them, and those that do have the good taste not
#- to use them
#- > gratuitously.
#-
#- This feature won't be rarely used.  Class and static methods
#- and properties are created fairly often, certainly far more often
#- than meta classes.
#-
#- Jim
#-