[Python-Dev] Plea for simpler decorator syntax, in addition to pie-shaped syntax

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Aug 4 17:47:32 CEST 2004

>  >    def classmethod foo(cls, ...):
>  >        ...
>
> This was rejected a long time ago because it complicated life for editor
> colorizing support

Oh, Fred, please!  "Complicated life"?  (and, "Editor colorizing
support"?!)  Much as I love python-mode, it hardly seems a good reason
to add a whole new syntactic branch to Python, particularly when
editors are really good at identifying a small set of distinguished
words in distinguished positions.

By the way, if we're going down the road of compile-time markup, how
about a real macro language :-?

Bill