[Python-Dev] Re: Call for defense of @decorators

Paul Moore pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 22:23:28 CEST 2004

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

> It seems a public outcry against @decorators has started.  When I let
> Anthony check it in for 2.4a2, the plan was to see how it fares in a2
> and a3, and possibly take it out in 2.4b1.  If you don't want that to
> happen, you might want to say something in public in defense of
> @decorators.

OK then, they get +1 from me, FWIW.

I don't intend to try to drown out the outcry - there have been far
too many messages on this subject already. However, I will say this
much:

I believe that the functionality is worthwhile. Decorators add a new
type of expressiveness which will take a while to show its full
benefits. Until people get over the syntax issue, we won't see the
real benefits coming through - and that won't be classmethod and the
like, but more creative ideas that will take time to gel. Sure, we'll
see some abuses, but my feeling is that there will be some genuinely
useful decorators, which quite possibly would never have been
identified without the language support directing people's thoughts to
the idea of decorators.

All the arguments are over syntax, but in my view, syntax is not the
issue.

Paul.
--
Instant gratification takes too long -- Carrie Fisher