[Python-Dev] Call for defense of @decorators

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 5 22:49:21 CEST 2004

Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>> That argument has been done to death several times in the last year
>> here.  Function attributes aren't a replacement for decorators.
>

> I couldn't agree more.

While I agree with that statement, I think it was unhelpful. Chris
did not want to know whether function attributes can, in general,
replace decorators. Instead, he wanted to know whether the *specific*
decorator could have been replaced with a function attribute.

I don't really know the answer to that question, but my guess is:
It could have.

Regards,
Martin