[Python-Dev] Call for defense of @decorators

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 5 23:07:25 CEST 2004

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Is there something to be done that could change the current
> decision? Voting? Collecting pros/cons and classifying them?

Depends on in what direction you want to make a change. It
appears you want to avoid introducing any kind of syntax
change. In that case, you should explain people how to spell
classmethod and synchronized in a more convenient way, because
that is what the stated motivation of PEP 318 is - you would
have to explain why this motive is bad, irrelevant, or otherwise
not a worthy goal.

Or you could argue on a procedural basis: regardless of whether
the feature is good or bad, the current implementation is
unacceptable, as the PEP does not correspond with the
implementation, the syntax is undocumented, the code has no test
cases, and so on. I'm actually going to do that, because I do
think the process is unacceptable, and should be either corrected
or reversed (of course, this says nothing about the feature itself,
or the code implementing it).

Regards,
Martin